Visit the location where the Wrights Brothers made history by making the worlds first flight.
This longest running outdoor drama tells the history of the first attempt to settle the new world on Roanoke Island.
Built in 1803 and daringly moved to higher ground in 1999, climb to the top and take in views of the ocean and sound that go on for miles. At 210’ it is the tallest brick lighthouse in the United States.
Established in 1938 and well known as a birders paradise, visit the refuge and take a tour with a guide or using QR codes and your phone.
Outdoor Sports & Activities
The Outer Banks is known for some of the best fishing in the world. From the simplicity of surf fishing (fishing license required) to large game charter fishing off the coast, there is something to challenge every angler.
Nags Head Woods Ecological preserve is 1400 acres of pristine maritime forest with trails though the woods, marsh to the sound. Filled with abundant wildlife and plant life to delight young and old alike.
Climb the largest sand dune on the East Coast, constantly changing shape due to shifting sand the dune averages 150’ high. Also a popular site for kite flying and hang gliding.
Enjoy surfing, kayaking, boogie boarding on the ocean front or visit the sound to sail, charter inshore fishing, kiteboarding or jet skiing for more thrills.
Special 2017 Events
Some of the many special events that are scheduled during the 2017 season.
- First Flight Cruisers Shamrock Car Show & Poker Run (March 9 – 12)
- St. Paddy’s 1 Mile Beer Run (March 18)
- Outer Banks Taste of the Beach Weekend (March 23 – 26)
- Easter Eggstravaganza (April 1)
- WOOFstock 2017 (April 8)
- First Flight 5K and Flying Pirate Half Marathon (April 22-23)
- Outer Banks Bike Week (April 22 – 30)
- Duck and Wine Festival (April 29)
- 34th Annual Yuengling Nags Head Woods 5K (May 13)
- 45th Annual Hang Gliding Spectacular (May 19 – 22)
- Coastal Gardening Festival (May 20)
- Wind Voyager Triple-S Invitational (June 03 – 09)
- Rogallo Kite Festival (June 10 – 11)
- Storm the Beach – Obstacle Race (Jun 11)
- Sunrise 5K & Little Crab Crawl (June 15)
- Kitty Hawk Surf Co. Kayak Fishing Tournament (Sep 16)
- ESA Easterns Surfing Championships (Sep 17 – 23)
- The Lost Colony Wine Festival (Sep 29 – 30)
- Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival (Oct 4 – 7)
- Duck Jazz Festival (Oct 7 – 8)
- Outer Banks Seafood Festival (Oct 21)
- Outer Banks Brewtag (Oct 28)
- Wings Over Water Wildlife Festival (Oct 18 – Dec 10)
- 60th Annual Invitation Surf Fishing Tournament & Bob Bernard Open Individual Tournament (Nov 1 – 4)
- TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon and Southern Fried Half Marathon 8k | 5k | Fun Run | Southern 6 (Nov 10 – 12)
- 114th Annual Celebration of The Wright Brothers’ First Flight (December 17)